Introductory Practical Philosophy
The first course
Do any of us really know who we are? Or why? For thousands of years, philosophy has been searching for answers.
Enrol today for the summer term, beginning Monday 27th April.
- Available evenings Monday to Thursday, and Wednesday and Saturday mornings
- Over ten weekly sessions you’ll consider philosophical ideas and questions relevant to all our lives
- Evening sessions include a light supper and refreshments (for a reasonable cost)
- Saturday sessions include a mid-morning refreshments break (with a small charge for tea/coffee)
- Half-term will be from 24th to 30th May
Read our FAQs
1. The wisdom within
Where: 11 Mandeville Place, W1U 3AJ
What we’ll cover in this session
What is practical philosophy?
‘What would a wise person do here?’
Philosophy means the love of wisdom. Our course is intended to show how philosophy can help us enjoy richer, less stressful and more useful lives.
This opening session considers these aims, and introduces simple exercises in mindfulness and the application of wisdom you can practise in daily life.
You can listen to the Awareness Exercise, introduced in week one, below:
Right-click here to download the Awareness Exercise. Choose 'Save link as...' and save the MP3 wherever you want.
You can also download a PDF of the Awareness Exercise